This site is dedicated to my ever loving bratty children, my tolerant husband and well to my friends who support me in so many ways even when we don't speak for years. Cheers - to the beautiful and not so beautiful passings in our lives. In other words - those moments when life is painful and all you can do is laugh until you cry (or pee)!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

School, Bugars and The "White" Woman

OK so after 3 weekens in a row of school, a kid who has had to go to the doctor and the dentist in preparation for braces.... I am one tired mama...

The only entertaining piece of late is that I told Amber that once her braces were put on, she would have to cut up her food and eat it with a fork.... her reply "I have to eat my bugars with a fork?"........... After gagging for a few seconds and I am sure giving her that "I know you didn't just say that" look, I realized she meant "burgers".

Um gross...

I did have an interesting experience at 7-11 in Aurora, I was walking into the store and the cutest little black girl (I am guessing she was about 5 years old) had spilled a 64 oz big gulp of kool-aid on the floor, the store was busy and mom and daughter were laughing and good natured about the spill, but it was everywhere. So I offered to help clean it up and the little girl stopped cleaning it and looked up at me and said loudly "BUT YOU'RE WHITE", I didn't know what to say so I said "I am?"... She didn't know what to say so she stood up, crossed her arms and watched in amazment that a white woman was cleaning up her mess.

Her mother explained with embarassment that in her neighborhood, white people weren't nice to them, the only response I could muster was "I am not from your neighborhood and I am sorry".

I cannot believe that this crap still happens, or maybe I don't want to, but what an eye opener, for a white girl!!

Be kind to everyone folks - just one nice gesture could change a childs view of the world forever.

2 comments:

Scylla said...

Yeah.... sadly racism is still highly pervasive. I am glad that little girl got a glimpse of the better part of "white society".

ellen said...

I love the honesty of kids. She truly said what she believed and it is sad that color still matters so much. Out of the mouth of babes...
I'm glad you helped them.

We are going to be joining you in the world of braces in the not to distant future. Hannah has a cross bite according to the dentist so we will be seeing orthodontist soon.