This site is dedicated to my ever loving bratty children, my tolerant husband and well to my friends who support me in so many ways even when we don't speak for years. Cheers - to the beautiful and not so beautiful passings in our lives. In other words - those moments when life is painful and all you can do is laugh until you cry (or pee)!

Monday, April 9, 2007

I bought a sewing machine - OH MY - I am not kidding!!

Ok so Mallory is taking a fashion class and is making herself clothes. I can only remember my own adventures of making clothes at her age. I was trying to make a pair of shorts and cut the fabric for the front the same size as the back (no room for my butt) and I couldn't sew, so I hot glued them together. To get an "A" in the class we had to wear our garment to school.............. so I did, I safetey pinned the shorts to my shirt because well...........my butt wouldn't fit in them.

Mallory is much more adventurous - she is making a beautiful dress (or so the pattern says).... I felt like I was standing in an auto parts store, since I can't even sew on buttons, the fabric store was just as scary. Sewing on buttons would be the equivilant of changing my own oil.

So, I found a wonderful salesperson who was able to read the pattern, show me what a "hook and eye" was since I thought it was fishing tackle......... By the end of the trip we bought fabric, zippers, other little unknown doo dads and a sewing machine. The sewing machine even came with an instruction video (unfortunately the video doesn't start with how to turn it on or explain why it has what looks like a gas pedal).

So now 3 hours later we have a sewing machine that looks like it went through a tornado of string and I still don't know what to do with the gas pedal (I tried to sit on it, bite on it-still don't know what the hell it is for). We haven't yet been able to put fabric under the little metal gadget.......

It still sounds like fishing stuff - hook, eye, bobbin..........

Anyway, I am sure I will be sewing you each something "interesting" for christmas - Love you all.

Coni

2 comments:

ellen said...

If you want to talk to Susan I am sure she could help out. She is a fashion design person who has sewn clothing for many years.

It is a gas pedal. When the machine is on and you step on it the machime begins sewing....step slowly.

I look forward to next xmas to see what you create!

Susan said...

Yes, please, if you need any help at all or have questions, let me know. I've been sewing for 3/4 of my life (which is a scare thought).

And like Ellen said, step slowly & watch your fingers. Sewing over them sucks! (Trust me, I've done it a time or two.)

Seriosuly, if you or Mallory have questions, please let me know. I went to school for fashion design & know how to fit patterns, and fun stuff like that. It's even what I do everyday at work.