This site is dedicated to my ever loving bratty children, my tolerant husband and well to my friends who support me in so many ways even when we don't speak for years. Cheers - to the beautiful and not so beautiful passings in our lives. In other words - those moments when life is painful and all you can do is laugh until you cry (or pee)!

Friday, March 23, 2007

What makes us grumpy

Ok so after more than $50,000 in education in psychology you would think I could figure out why there are times people are just grumpy....

I realized that it is generally my own "stuff" that causes grumpiness. For example, I take the girls to the store and I am in a great mood - I can't wait to re-stock the house with food that didn't expire before my birth. Well, by the end of the trip I am pissed off and really hating life - ALL IN LESS THAN AN HOUR my outlook on life went from great to get me the hell out of here!!

I decided to reflect on my feeling (sorry - I will stop the annoying counselor talk) so I came home and rethought the previous hour. Here is what sent me from great to pissed off in 1 hour flat:

4:30pm - Arrive at the store (Daughter driving, can't park without someone dying so she parks as far out in the parking lot as possible). I tripped over a littered cup on the way in the door, of course quickly scanning to see if anyone was laughing at me.

4:31pm - Get into the store and go to get a shopping cart (They are all stuck to each other like a puzzle - this has got to be a joke) I finally wrestle one free and there is some form of substance (most likely snot from the previous child chewing on the bar). I go to grab one of the nice "free" disinfectant wipes the store offers and the bottle is empty. So I wipe the mysterious snot on my pants EWE!!

4:35pm - We enter the actual store and immediately Amber is asking how much money I have in my pocket because she wants something out of those stupid $0.50 vending machines. I have exactly 50 cents, give it to her, the machine eats one of the quarters and now I have to listen to her whine because she didn't get anything. This is a conspiracy by the store since now I have to buy her a toy or something.

4:37pm - Amber is now off and running with the "can I have this', "mom, you have to see this isn't it cool, "mom, can we buy a drink" OK - so I gave into the can I buy a drink bit. So Amber picks up what she calls "SOAP" which is actually "SOBE", I don't pay any attention, she opens it and starts drinking it. No big deal right.... OK until I actually look at it and it is a HIGH ENERGY DRINK......... OH CRAP!!!!! So less than 10 minutes later Amber is running, jumping and screaming "MOM COME LOOK AT THIS - CAN I HAVE THIS, PPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE???????

4:47pm - I am starting to lose my mind, Mallory disappeared into the make-up isle which I know will only make the grocery bill go up about an extra hundred bucks.... I am not sure where Amber is but I can only imagine that she is in the bakery taste testing anything not glued shut.

5:15pm - The cart is full of make-up (From Mallory) and junk food (From Amber), my hair is standing straight up and I am looking for the beer isle - I don't drink but I am considering the temporary habit to get me through this damn shopping trip.

5:20pm - I receive the items I sent Mallory to get while I got coffee. Mallory was asked to get "meat" I guess I should have been more specific because I didn't notice her put 2 packages of STEAK, a package of Salmon, some shrimp and a couple of filet mignon's in the cart.

5:30pm - We are in line and Mallory is filling the cart with magazines from the rack (all consisting of the same crap - BRITNEY SPEARS IS BALD. I try to ignore her as I am watching the amount of my grocery bill in shock. Amber is sneaking candy and gum onto the conveyer belt and I am choosing to ignore it.

5:30 and 30 seconds - Oh my god!! My grocery bill just reached $330.00......... I pay less than that a month to drive my Volvo...... I pay and leave the store, get in the car after an argument with Mallory that I wanted to drive because it is my car, I am her mother and I need to get home fast. Her response was "I can drive just as fast as you mom" - - that isn't comforting coming from a teenager.

So there it is- my reflection on why I was SO pissed off when I got home, put the groceries away and realized that we were going to have to eat the following: Gum, Candy, Magazines and make-u[ because the only other stuff we got was steak, shrimp and fish..... I guess we are now on the atkins diet because all we have is meat.

UGH..........

2 comments:

Scylla said...

Oh honey I have soo been there. Marlena and I are in the middle of working out "the Gimmes". What is okay to ask for and what is not.

She actually got to a point where she would ask for anything her hands touched, such as "Mom!! You have to see this! I really need it!!" "Marlena, that's a can of herring."

We had a whole month where she couldn't ask for anything new, and now we are working on her being able to really look at things in a store and ask after we have wandered through. It's tough.

I do let her choose various agreed upon items in the store, which helps a lot, but basically, I shop while she is in school.

I love you!! Enjoy your meat, maybe the candy can be melted down into a tasty glaze?

ellen said...

I feel your pain! I also try to shop without kids (mainly, Hannah and Simon) or I am really mad when I leave the store. I generally agree to one treat and they alway do that, "Oh mom, can I have..." through the shole store. Grrr. Luckily, out here there is a grocery store that has a kid drop off place!! I love Wegman's I don't care how much it costs. The peace of mind that I have shopping with only one kid and getting only what I want to get is so very worth it!!!!

I think the formula you need to use is as follows.

Children = Stress (and gray hair!)