This site is dedicated to my ever loving bratty children, my tolerant husband and well to my friends who support me in so many ways even when we don't speak for years. Cheers - to the beautiful and not so beautiful passings in our lives. In other words - those moments when life is painful and all you can do is laugh until you cry (or pee)!

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hell week/sad death/ACT Tests

This last week has been challenging. I worked 16 hours straight (was supposed to be 20, but I couldn't make it); I don't remember driving home but the only damage was that I drove over the flagstone in the front yard when I got home. It took a couple of days to recover, but I survived.

Sad news... My ex-husband Barry (Ambers Dad), his brother Greg died yesterday. Greg was a great guy always independent and successful. In the last few years things became tough. He couldn't handle how unforgiving and tough life could be. It is suspected that he accidentally ended his young life yesterday afternoon trying to numb the pain of misfortune. Please take a moment to send heartfelt thoughts to his 12 year old daughter and 8 year old son and his wonderful wife of many years.

This situation is so similar to many in this world; this is yet another reason I chose to go into the mental health field. I only wish that more people had the courage to get help.

Update on Mallory - so we have always talked about college with Mallory until about 6 years ago when I got called into her therapists office and asked to quit talking about it "Mallory is NOT interested in going to college". We were crushed and the only bright side we could see in it all is that we could use her college money to build an addition on the house - ensuring that she will have a place to live since without college she probably wouldn't be able to afford a place of her own.

Last week Mallory asked if I could look at the Metro State website to see what the admission requirements were (I assumed that she was asking for a friend). She then saw what the ACT/SAT scores need to be in accordance with GPA. It was one of "those" moments....... she looked at me and said "Mom, I need to get my grades up and get a study book for the ACT/SAT". It was every parents dream - that moment when your child makes an adult decision that you want them to make, but each time you bring it up, they are pushed further for it. I asked her what changed her mind and she said "Well, I can't live on minimum wage now can I?"

I went and bought her the book to study from and got that "I have a masters degree" attitude and sat down to read the questions in the book....... Oh my, we forget a lot...... I effectively answered about 10 questions out of 50 (and I guessing on 6 of them)...

We also need to some good thoughts sent Mallory's way - on Thursday she is having $1,900 in oral surgery done... She is getting 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed and some procedure to encourage her stubborn 12 year molar to make an appearance.... Yeah, I did say $1,900...

Talk to you all soon.

4 comments:

Scylla said...

Ugh, please tell Mal I feel for her. I hate oral surgery.

But the pain meds are fun!

Also please tell her I love Metro State. It was a fantastic experience for me, I loved most of my classes and the teachers brought awesome real world experience to the classroom.

Also, the campus is really fun, there is a lot to do there, and it's location makes it so much more open than the traditional college environment.

I had a lot of fun there over my college years. I hope she does too!

ellen said...

Yeah for Mal!!!! She will love it. I went to CCD which is on the same campus. Yeah Mallory!

I am so, so, so, sorry to hear about Greg. That's so sad.

ellen said...

BTW, I like the changes of the layout on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.